Monday 20 August 2012

Between Interruptions: Top 5 MUST HAVE Books for New + Young Limitless Mothers


Between Interruptions:
Top 5 MUST HAVE Books for New + Young Limitless Mothers
By: Yasmin Razack
limitlesswomen.ca


I read like crazy when I was expecting my first child, all about pregnancy, how to be a ‘yummy mummy’, sleep training…blah blah blah.

Then I had the child. BAM! My whole life changed on April 24th 8:16pm when my first daughter Kamea was born.

I was so frustrated that there was no ‘book lists’ for new mothers, so below is a list of MUST HAVE books for new and young mothers…and the list may surprise you!


Wow. This book blew me away. If you are a mom to be or new mom this book will give you an in depth insight to the challenges of motherhood. Remember Monika Deol from Electric Circus (hyperlink)? She has 4 kids now, and her story of walking away from it all amazed me- in addition to what happened to her at the airport with 4 kids in tow. From high-powered fashion designers to Aboriginal women who choose to raise their kids on the water, this book shares stories about every topic imaginable to mothers and it is not censored. GREAT read.




Remember the show Wild On ? Brooke Burke was the host of a show that had my dream job: travelling all around the world to showcase the best beach, adventure and fun each destination could offer. What you don’t know is they had to shoot several episodes of her top half only because she was pregnant! And she tells you how she brought along her baby everywhere while she did the tapings in remote places all around the world….incredible! I would recommend reading this book around a year or so after you had the baby or when you feel that you have somewhat of a handle on things. Brooke is a mother of 4 and I just loved how modern and savvy she was in every aspect of her life. She gives you excellent tips on how to keep a positive and healthy identity as a woman, a partner and a professional while being a great mother. Her advice is more than savvy…its priceless!




We don’t have to go to any classes, take any courses to become a parent. One day it just happens and when my child turned 2 I WAS LOST! I told one of my colleagues with older children what I was going through and she highly recommended this book.

Don’t know if I would be here today writing this blog if I didn’t get this book. It is that good period. Get it when your child turns 1 years old so you are prepared, the strategies WORK and they are so simple.


Also read this one cover to cover, great insights and good strategies for communication. How do you talk to a 2 year old? A 3 year old? Furthermore, how do you want your children to treat others? This book allows you to understand how you can build a positive character within your children. I use these strategies DAILY.


By far one of the most gripping, heart wrenching memoirs I have ever read. It left me speechless, I read it in one day. Stayed up all night Googling the author when I was finished and debated writing her, and even going to see her speak in person. Once you become a mom, everything you read is from the lens of being a mom. After reading this heartfelt novel you will lose the guilt of not giving your child vegetables every meal or thinking you don’t ‘do enough’ as a parent. It will teach you things about parenting that you would never EVER think of if you didn’t read this book. This book was an eye-opener and not a week goes by that I not reminded of what was said in The Glass Castle.


I gave birth to my second son Khyam on May 5th and 1:01pm in the afternoon and stayed up until 4:30am that same day to finished this book. I cried out loud at several points and will never forget how this book made me feel about being a mother….the deepest fears we have as mothers come true for the amazing woman telling the story in The Book of Negroes. This book is by far the best book I have ever read, OF ALL TIME. Reading it as a mother affirmed my belief that once you make a decision to become a mother NOTHING in life takes precedence over the force within you to always to love and protect your children. I am still not over it. You will be amazed at the tenacity and resilience of the mother telling this inconceivable story.





Books that almost made the list:

Battle Hymm of the Tiger Mother – Amy Chua
Secret Daughter –Somya Kishmore
Fabulousity – Kimora Lee Simmons
Baby Wise – Gary Ezzo

What books do you recommend for new and young mothers?

 Yasmin Razack is a Personal + Professional Life Coach who works with for women in transition to unlock their limitless potential in all aspects of life. For more information please visit limitlesswomen.ca or email her at yasmin@limitlesswomen.ca.




No comments: